Walking Group/The Walkaholics
Welcome to the Walking Group aka The Walkaholics! The walking group is designed for those:
- Who love to walk
- Are not able to run
- Feel intimidated to start a running program, but want to exercise
- Are recovering from injury
- Haven’t exercised in a long time and want to start moving again!
The Walking Group is designed to support those that want to walk for fitness and those who want to target a half-marathon. Our coaches will help you find your pace and fitness level. We will then help you work toward a goal of improving both pace and distance by race day or end of season. (Minimum fitness level required: ability to walk 1 mile at a 17 minute/mile pace).
To achieve your goals, complete the suggested workouts on your own during the week. The group will meet every Saturday morning for a longer distance walk. We will also meet during the week a few times throughout the season to work on specific target areas such as speed or hill work.
Members do not have to be training for a specific race to join the group walks. However, for those pursuing a half marathon goal, our training plan will target the Aramco Half Marathon on January 15, 2023. The official training program is 15 weeks long, beginning in early October. Other races and distances can be built into the schedule depending on our member’s goals
|Aramco Half Marathon||See Plan|
Meg McNeil and Michelle Peting
Head Coaches: Meg McNeil, Michelle Peting Assistant Coaches: Terry Glenn, Bonnie Ashcroft
The Walking Group Coaches were all charter members of the CRC Walking group that started in 2016. We have walked all types of races including a full marathon and many half marathons, 10k and 5k races. The combined experience of the coaching team is available to help all levels of walkers achieve their goals whether it is to increase distance and pace or complete a target race.
- Michelle: I have lived in Cypress for 23 years, married for 27 years and have one newly married daughter. 8 years ago, I decided to branch out and looked for a different form of staying I ran across CRC in my Facebook feed. I looked into it and signed up for the Couch to 5k (now the No More Excuses 5k). The following year I joined the Mileage Builders, but that was short lived due to my daughter’s school activities. When it was time to renew for the 2016-2017 season, I was so happy to see that a Walking Group was added. I did not hesitate to sign up! I love being outdoors, challenging myself and meeting new people. As Assistant Coach for the last 5 years, I look forward to stepping up to Head Coach and helping anyone I can along their way.
- Meg: I have always wanted to be a runner, but I have never felt fit enough to run. I learned from a friend that CRC was starting a Walking Group and I joined immediately. I have learned to push myself to new levels and have gained confidence by participating in this group. Walking is my therapy! Setting race goals keeps me focused, but what I really love is spending my Saturday mornings walking outdoors with good friends.
- Bonnie: My first race was a half marathon completed with my family in I was hooked. I want to improve and started looking for something and found CRC. I look forward to the camaraderie on Saturday mornings. Walking gives me time to reflect and recharge. Come join us. We want to help and encourage you to achieve your goals.
- Terry: When I was training for my first half marathon, I had to train by myself because there was no Walking Group at CRC and I was too slow for the other groups. I really enjoy walking – in fact, I walk at least 5 days a week when I can. If I’m not walking, I’m on my bike. At 75, I’m one of the senior members of the group but walking has helped me stay fit and healthy.